Welcome to the First Nations Medioa Policy Bank.
These policies are free for any not-for-profit organisation to download and use, so long as it is for a non-commercial purpose and that the organisation is not paying a consultant to carry out this work. We'll be adding to the Policy Bank progressively as well as updating Policy samples as needed, so come back from time to time to see what's new.
All policy templates are provided as .docx download files. Alternatively you can download all the files as a zip file. Please contact us if you have difficulty in downloading the files. If you are an IRCA member and need help with developing a Policy not included here, please contact our Membership Officer.
The Indigenous Governance Kit also provides useful information on developing policies. Find out more ...
DISCLAIMER: While all care has been taken in the preparation of this material, no responsibility is accepted by the Indigenous Remote Communications Association, its staff, volunteers or Board of Directors, for any errors, omissions or inaccuracies. The templates have been prepared to provide general information only. They are not intended to be relied upon or be a substitute for legal or other professional advice. No responsibility can be accepted by the Indigenous Remote Communications Association for any known or unknown consequences that may result from reliance on any information provided in the templates.
Please note that the policy templates (some also include procedures) are a starting point only.
The template content is as comprehensive as possible but will need customisation:
- At a minimum you'll need to change the policy title, remove the Disclaimer and add your organisation's name in relevant parts of the policy.
- You may want to simplify wording, as well as reflect local cultural protocols in the wording
- You may want to produce a simple summary of a policy for staff and the Board, with the longer policy as the foundation document.
- The content is likely to be much longer and more detailed than you need. You can cut back the the policies and/or procedures ito match the scale and needs of your organisation. Advice from relevant people on modifying the policies is recommended. For example you should seek feedback from your accountant, auditor, employee assistance service provider, or legal adviser on financial and compliance policies. Staff, volunteers, contractors and Board Directors should be made aware that policies and procedures are being developed in a given area, and, where relevant, consulted with in customising the policy for your organisation.
It is highly recommended that once your policies have been approved by the Board that you:
- Ensure that the policies are included in a policy register to which all organisation staff have access.
- Table the policy at a staff meeting for discussion about its application.
- Include the policy in the staff and/or Board induction manual as relevant to the policy focus.
- Lodge the signed and dated policy with your accountant as backup.
- Review the policy annually.