A strategy for culturally important First Nations media collections
With sector organisations holding archives of culturally rich and historically valuable video content in old formats, IRCA is leading a National Archiving Strategy for digitisation; and seeking funding partners for this important national work.
Key outputs of the project are:
- Development of a First Nations Cultural Collections Archiving Strategy.
- Development of standards for digitisation formats and metadata.
- Promotion of principles of cultural management and operation of remote archives
- Development of baseline data (quantitative and qualitative) of remote archives as at 2014 and identify archives at risk of damage or loss or closure
- Lobbying for funding of archives, including strategic funding for archives at risk.
- Implementation of training programs where funding is available.
- Development of resources (available on a case by case basis where organisations gain funding for Archiving development).
- Facilitation and support for relationship development and partnerships development between the remote archive sector and major Indigenous collecting agencies and researchers
- Promotion and celebration of the significance of remote archives
- Development of a First Nations archive 'manifesto' with regard to cultural rights, governance, protocols, principles and practices